Knowing how to take care of your boiler properly can benefit you in more ways than one.
Boiler maintenance is important to prolong the life of your boiler. Getting a regular annual boiler service will help ensure that your boiler is in perfect working condition when you need it during the cold months. It also helps keep the efficiency of your boiler high, which in turn can help you save energy and money. Also, a boiler that is properly cared for is less likely to need frequent boiler repairs. (Read more about what to expect during a service, and its benefits.)
However, there are things that you can do on a daily or regular basis to take care of your boiler and help ensure it is operating well.
Here’s how to take care of your boiler properly:
- Do not cover your boiler.
- Keep the air vents open, as well as ventilation grilles, air bricks and outside flues.
- NEVER attempt to open the boiler cover. Only a trained and qualified gas safe registered engineer should do this. Schedule a repair if something is not working right.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe your boiler clean, then dry.
- Use petroleum jelly to remove scratches on the boiler’s body. Rub a small amount on the area where the scratch is, wipe the petroleum jelly off and then buff it using dry cloth to shine.
- During hot months, run your heating system once a month for about 15 minutes. This will help keep your boiler running efficiently, and avoid getting clogged. This way, the moving parts are in order for when you need your boiler during cold months.
- If you are using a gas boiler, get a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home. This will detect the poisonous gas if it is present in your home, and potentially save lives.
- Monitor your boiler’s water level, pressure, and temperature constantly so you can tell if they suddenly (or constantly) change. Changes can be symptoms for broken parts and a need for repair.
- Make sure you get your local engineer to do your boiler service annually to prevent future repairs and ensure everything is working okay.
Knowing how to take care of your boiler is just as important as getting only professionals – like our team from RJ Gas – to do the repairs, services and installations.