Learn how to check if your engineer is gas safe registered using our tips below.
Check If Your Engineer Is Gas Safe Registered
Gas is not only dangerous, it can be lethal. So whenever you are getting work done on any of your gas appliances – whether its boiler installation, gas fire repair or gas oven service – only a qualified engineer should do the work to ensure your and your family’s safety.
Gas Safe Register was created to protect homeowners from dangerous gas work and all gas safe registered engineers are qualified and legal to carry out gas- related work. They have all been checked to ensure they have the qualifications and competency to safely and legally work with gas.
So how would you check if your engineer is gas safe registered? Here’s how:
- A gas safe registered engineer has a Gas Safe Register ID card that indicates their licence number.
- There is a range of qualifications required of gas engineers to allow them to do specific types of gas work. The card will also tell you the type of gas work they are qualified to do.
- Check the ID card for other information such as:
- The photo
- The start date and expiration date
- The licence number
- The security hologram
- The name of the business that the engineer works for
- The back of the ID card should show that:
- Your engineer is qualified to do the gas work you want done e.g. cooker, boiler, gas fire
- Their qualifications are up to date
- If your engineer does not show you their Gas Safe Registered ID card upon arriving at your home, always ask for it.
- Here are other ways you can check if your engineer is gas safe registered:
- Call Gas Safe Register at 0800 408 5500
- Look up the engineer’s or business’s name on their website
- Text Gas and the engineer ‘s licence number to 85080
Using the Gas Safe Register website, you will be provided with the following information for businesses that are found in the system:
- Contact details (some companies may request that their contact details are not shown on the website)
- Services provided
- Gas type that they are qualified to work on
- Areas of work that they are qualified to work on
If you use the website to check if your engineer is gas safe registered, you will see the following details:
- A picture of the engineer (some businesses may opt not to include this service)
- Contact details of the business
- What gas work they are qualified to carry out
If you wish to report an illegal engineer or business, you can call the Gas Safe Register number or report it online.
Now that you know how to check if your engineer is gas safe registered, call us and schedule one to help you with your gas safety issues.